How to Get the Best HVAC Contractor
Posted by Airco Austin | 02.23.2016
You’re probably smart enough to realize that with something as important as your home’s heating and cooling system, you should be careful about who you’re buying it from, and who’s servicing and repairing it once installed. But how do you find a quality HVAC contractor? Here are some good rules of thumb about choosing the best possible HVAC contractor.
- Do research. Determine what your state requires in terms of licensing and insurance for HVAC contractors. Make sure the company you work with has these credentials, along with membership in good standing in industry organizations like North American Technician Excellence (NATE) and the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
- Talk to people. Ask your neighbors, family members and coworkers for recommendations on quality HVAC contractors. If they’ve worked out for your friends, they’ll likely be great for you. You can also research websites that rate heating and cooling businesses, read customer reviews and ratings just as you would any other consumer service.
- Ask for references. A contractor should be always be able to supply you with several positive references. Go ahead and call a few.
- Make sure they stock quality brands of HVAC equipment. You do not want to become the guinea pig for an off-brand that has no track record, or worse yet, be tricked into buying used equipment.
- Expect a home inspection. For any major repair or installation, the contractor should ask to inspect your HVAC system before recommending any repair or installation. For whole-house systems, a reputable contractor will ask to conduct a heating or cooling load calculation, as a precursor to determining the proper size system for your home.
If you are looking for a quality HVAC contractor to install or service your heating or cooling system, please contact us at Airco.