Winter is hitting soon, and for Austin homeowners that can mean enjoying hot cocoa by the fire, and, unfortunately, also stressing about expensive heating bills. Heating bills can rise in the middle of cold months, but you could lower your bills if you start planning now.
Winterizing your home can be a great way to reduce your energy bills and keep your house warm this cold season. Get started now! Here are some tips for the heating season:
- Seal up air leaks. Air leaks can be a common problem and more so in older homes. Search for gaps or cracks near your windows, electrical outlets, baseboards, doors, and then seal them with weather stripping or caulk. You can use spray-foam on the larger cracks. If you need help locating leaks, schedule a home energy evaluation appointment with your heating service.
- Get your furnace checked. Many homeowners often assume that their furnace doesn’t need maintenance unless there is a real problem, but all HVAC systems may benefit from yearly maintenance. Have a professional check your furnace now before the cold hits to make sure that it’s running efficiently and there are no problems.
- Inspect your ducts. Duct leaks can be very wasteful, and can make it hard to keep your home comfortable in the winter. Have your ducts inspected to make sure they are tightly sealed.
- Insulate your windows. It’s a good time now to buy storm windows, which can keep drafts away this winter. If the cost of storm windows isn’t in feasible, try a weatherization kit, which provides materials to seal your windows with plastic sheeting.
- Add insulation. If you’re procrastinating about adding insulation to the walls and the attic, now is a great time to add this. You could save significant money this winter by insulating areas that are letting cold inside. You can even insulate some areas, like the attic, on your own.
For more expert tips for the heating season in your Austin home, contact AiRCO today.